Phalloid Amanita: A Lethal Guest In The Garden

Amanita phalloides or Tignosa verdognola is the common name for the Amanita phalloides, a very poisonous fungus that belongs to the Amanitaceae family.

This fungus is also very common in our regions and is one of the most dangerous fungus that can be found, so be very careful.

Amanita Phalloides Why Is It So Dangerous?

Amanita phalloid is not only very toxic but also has a high polymorphism, meaning that its appearance can vary and consequently find individuals of the same family completely different.

For this reason many times it is confused with other species of fungi that are edible and ignorantly consumed. In fact the ingestion of this fungus is the cause of most deaths from poisoning, small doses are enough.

Amanita phalloides even a small dose can be lethal.

The phalloid Amanita contains very dangerous toxins that remain active even after drying the fungus or cooking and freezing. You can die by consuming even small amounts of this fungus.

Amanita Phalloid Characteristics And Description

We said that this fungus has a high polymorphism so its appearance may be different between individuals even though they belong to the same family.

However we see what are the common aspects and characteristics that could help us to recognize it:

The Hat

The color of the cap of this fungus can vary from yellowish-grey, to greenish grey, or brown-yellow or even white in the alba variety, conical or hemispherical, smooth, without wrinkles or warts.

The Gills

White in color, tall and free at the stem.

The Stem

White, often garnished of streaks similar to the color of its cap, first full in the young specimens and hollow in the older ones, bulbous at the base.


White with yellowish hues, falling down like a handkerchief on the stem, often temporary in the ripe specimens.


The smell of phalloid amanita is almost zero (or withered rose) in the fresh and young mushroom, honey in the adult mushroom, fetid and putrid in the rotten mushroom.

What Are The Effects Of Phalloid Amanita?

Consumption of even a small amount of this fungus causes irreversible liver damage and death.

The first symptoms of phalloid syndrome can be felt about 12 to 48 hours after ingestion, depending on the subject’s physical constitution. During this period the liver goes into necrosis with effects similar to severe viral hepatitis.

If the poisoning is diagnosed quickly and the quantities taken are small, death can be prevented.

Remember that even today there is still no really effective antidote against the toxins of this fungus, so be very careful and have any fungus you pick up checked by some expert before consuming it.

Where Does The Phalloid Amanita Grow?

The phalloid Amanita is widespread throughout Europe and grows wild in coniferous, oak and chestnut forests. It appears from early summer until late autumn.

How To Recognize A Phalloid Amanita?

One thing you can do to get an idea if this fungus belongs to the Amanitaceae family, or rather recognize the toxin of this fungus more than anything else

Crushing A Piece Of Mushroom On A Piece Of Paper

  1. Highlight the stain left on the paper by the crushed mushroom.
  2. Pour a few drops of muriatic acid on the stain.
  3. Wait a few minutes to check the color of the stain.
  4. If the stain has a bluish halo then it confirms the presence of Amanita phalloides, toxin.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Solve : *
19 × 8 =